Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Sweater Vests and Duct Taped Hems


I know, it sounds trashy.
and it kinda is. but just listen to the story.

I was looking through some old clothes I was going donate, and I found this adorable cardigan I wore all the time. I was giving it away because it had some holes on the sleeves. Well, I was kind of attached to this cardigan, so I decided to keep it anyway, and just cut off the sleeves to make it a vest. This all seemed easy enough, until I found out that my mother's sewing machine is broken, so I couldn't hem it. I was really upset until I realized one thing - duct tape fixes everything. And I mean everything. So, I duct taped the hem. And, it actually worked out. So, I thought I might as well blog about it.

First, I cut off the sleeves of the cardigan. (don't cut right by the seam. Leave a little fabric to fold over and make your hem.)



Second, I turned the cardigan inside out so I could easily fold the excess fabric over. Once it was folded over, I just stuck the duct tape on.

(fabric not folded over.)

(fabric folded over.)

(fabric duct taped down, and hem formed.)

After that, I just repeated it on the other side. And then viola! You've got yourself a new sweater vest cardigan type thing.


Definitely added a little jazz to a plain black shirt and red pants.

Anyway, hope you try this out when you need a quick hem, and that it's not too trashy. :)

just baylee tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment